Newsletter No. 29

Houghton Valley Email Newsletter

20 April, 2011

Welcome to all the locals who have recently joined the email group.

Linda from Houghton Bay Road wants to know what everyone thinks of these ideas: I’ve been thinking … to reduce valley residents’ contribution to greenhouse gas emissions, save petrol dollars, strengthen community bonds + possibly provide extra income or barter points;
 to save people going to or sourcing out of the area,  services such a barber, hairdresser, plumber, gardeners, lawnmowers, photographers, producers of produce or preserves etc;
 would it be a good idea for anyone with services to offer to be listed some where like the newsletter?

Louis and Finn: are looking for work, see poster above.

Yoga classes: these will start again on 3 May at the school at 6.45 pm.

Community Garden: Photo of locals taking a break in the garden.

Celebrate the Taputeranga Marine Reserve and Snorkel Trail: Sun 1 May. Come and celebrate the Taputeranga Marine Reserve with Green Party Co leader Russel Norman by trying out the new snorkel trail and hearing about the rich marine life the reserve inhabits. Trustee Steve Journee, marine biologist Dr Sea Rotmann and Dr Malcolm Francis from NIWA and will speak from 1 pm.

• When: 12.30 – 2.30 pm Sunday 1 May;.
  • Where: The Esplanade Car Park, opposite 192 The Esplanade, Island Bay.
  • What to Bring: A full wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, warm and dry clothes to wear afterwards, lunch to share. To hire snorkelling gear or for more information contact Malcolm.

Taputeranga Marine Reserve website: www.taputeranga.org.nz;

Stick your head underwater and be amazed at the life – I even saw a pair of cuttlefish the other day!” – Russel Norman MP.

That’s all for now, Grant.

Newsletter No. 28

7 April, 2011

Welcome to all the locals who have recently joined the email group.

A message from Katie (teacher at HV school): The kids at Houghton Valley School have been doing a lot of work in the rainforest over the past few years.  Last year they worked with the Wellington Zoo Bush Builders and designed some signs to go in the forest. This Friday at 12 midday we will be reopening the forest with the new signs in it. The community is invited to come to the opening which will take place near the community garden. If you can’t make that, take a wander through the forest after next Friday and see what they have been up to. 🙂

CD community response planning meeting: Mark and Jo’s invitation to hold a community response plan was received with a lot of interest, so a meeting is being planned. Here is their message:

“Jo and I have been kicking some ideas around about what such a meeting would involve, and we’ve not come to a final idea just yet, however we think that we could start by:

• Gauging the interest of the group as to whether we think we need to make such a plan;
  • Giving some examples of the sorts of things that could be done within a community response plan;
  • Determining/explaining where a community response plan fits in the scheme of other activities (i,e. government/council response);
  • Answering any questions about hazards/or general emergency management;
  • Determining a way forward (assuming the interest);

So that’s pretty high level thinking but would probably be more than enough for a 2 hour meeting I think.”

Jo and Mark are tied up with response efforts in Christchurch and an overseas trip so the meeting will take place in late May/early June (they will let everyone know date and time shortly). Please let Mark and Jo (or me)  what (if any issues) you may like to see addressed in the meeting.

Memorial bench/seat vandalism: Occurred in the past 10 – 14 days on the seat opposite No 88 The Esplanade. This is very distressing to the family who paid for the seat so if anyone heard or saw anything, please let me know.

Archaeological dig: Mary, an Archaeologist from View Rd and I have been working getting permission to carry out an archaeological dig on the site of Restieaux’s farmhouse (one of the original farms in the valley). The site is near the Wind Gardens. I will keep you posted about this. 

All the best, Grant

Newsletter No. 27

22 March, 2011

Civil Defence: Just a reminder about the meeting on Wednesday 23 at 7 pm in the HV school hall to discuss how we can prepare for an emergency. Suggested discussion topics are:

• How to prepare;
  • What steps to take when an emergency happens;
  • A register (a list of local resources, people with skills).

Locals will be encouraged to input their knowledge and experience. Bring a plate for nibbles after the meeting. Please tell your neighbours.

Here is the link for the  brochure from Civil Defence (link not current): http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Emergencies–Hazards/Emergency-Planning/Its-easy-get-prepared-FINAL-DEC-2010WEB-With-award.pdf

See you on Wednesday, Grant

Newsletter No. 26

16 March, 2011

Civil Defence: due to the considerable response the HV School hall has been booked for a public meeting on Wednesday March 23 at 7 pm (the school is very kindly letting us use the hall free of charge). John and/or Sandy from Cave Rd will facilitate the meeting. Ricky from Civil Defence has been invited to talk and answer questions. Locals have also suggested others such as a geologist, a fireman and someone who has been helping out in Christchurch. If you know someone you think should be invited, let me know. Early next week an email will be sent out confirming the program for the night. Please tell your neighbours.

Barry Schon (principal of HV School) clarified the schools position in the 24 February newsletter, titled:

“Our School is a Civil defence Centre. What does this Mean?

It’s my understanding that the fact that our school is a ‘Civil Defence Post’ means that there is a radio here that local Civil Defence people will come and use to help monitor any disaster – in the event of a disaster they will have local volunteers who will head to the school, if they are able to. The school itself is therefore not set up to look after big groups of people, although if people had nowhere to go we would of course do our best to look after them. After an emergency we aim to get children back to their families asap, so that we can go to our own families, and we have a system set up for this, based on the emergency contact details we have for each child.”

Christine from Cave Rd provided this emergency checklist:

• Assume you’ll need 2 week’s supply to be comfortable;
  • Assume you’ll need a toilet in the garden, so a drum with a toilet seat is good;
  • Drinking water: 2 x 35 gallon header tanks would be good. 40 – 50 gallons of safe water for general use; 10 litres just drinking water;
  • For a shower you can get battery operated camping showers, or Jerry up a solar shower on a hook in the shower. Wet wipes would be better than nothing. Antibacterial wet wipes are great and for hands. Big problem is food hygiene with no water to wash hands and unclean water in the tap;
  • Insist on work premises that meet the code;
  • Extra SIM cards – different cell towers get knocked down;
  • Real nice to have: a generator, 70 gallons drinkable water, temporary shower, perhaps a tent, a bike/motorbike;
  • Store nothing above shoulder height unless the doors lock closed. Don’t have any cabinets that can fall across doorways;
  • Have a decent torch, jacket, boots, belt for trousers because you lose weight!
  • Baking soda is an excellent deodorant;
  • Camera to photograph stuff before cleaning up or throwing away;
  • Important documents scanned and stored out of town or online;
  • All important numbers recorded and backed up. Squeegee that will scrape into a dust shovel for cleaning up smashed food, Plastic shovel and brush;
  • Flattened cardboard boxes to initially collect stuff up;
  • Bleach for disinfectant;
  • Soap, towels;
  • 4 or 5 rolls paper towels;
  • Flatbreads – last better than normal bread;
  • Tins enough for 5 days;
  • Pencil and paper;
  • Transistor and batteries;
  • Dolphin torch with good battery;
  • Garden gloves to pick up glass;
  • Really good quality duct tape;
  • Insulation tape;
  • Felt pen to leave instructions;
  • Hand sanitiser 500 – 1000 mls;
  • Pets go missing – train them beforehand by blowing a whistle or ringing a bell once a day. Microchip them and register them;
  • Some heavy clear plastic to put over broken windows;
  • Store emergency kit where it will be accessible if the house collapses. Powdered milk and easy to make jug;
  • Tarpaulin.

Alice Kreb Lodge: Yesterday  a meeting was held at the lodge between the WCC and lodge trustees to sort out the lease. The WCC has agreed to survey the footprint of the building and create a lease agreement that will secure its future. In the photo below are Amber, Steve and Dejan from WCC with Brenda.

Houghton valley Community garden: Locals relaxing in the garden on Sunday.

By the way, check out Houghton Bay Community on our Facebook Page for more photos.

Newsletter No. 25

7 March, 2011

Sam is very preoccupied with the events in Christchurch, so I’m going to be doing the newsletter for a while.

Civil Defence: Many locals are talking about how a Civil Defence system could be organised for Houghton Bay. The feeling is that if an earthquake strikes, Houghton Bay will be on its own for several days. Do we want to organise a meeting to talk about this in the community hall? Yes or no? If enough people want it, let me know and I’ll book the hall. Apparently there is a fireman who lives in or near Houghton Bay, who knows the area well, and would be good to get as a speaker.

Jenny’s Notice: How is your emergency kit? Get yourself a self charging (dynamo) torch with radio, siren and cell phone charger. No batteries required. The price will be $40 or possibly a bit more, depending on the exchange rate, and we will be getting some more in to NZ in 6 weeks, but can take orders anytime!

Alice Krebs Lodge: See photo of John, Clare and Brenda preparing the Alice Krebs Lodge for refugees from Christchurch.

Sonia’s notice: On March 19 Sonia will be available for healing massage at the Alice Krebs Lodge. Sonia works with subtle healing energies to realign and stretch the body. The first session is one and a half hours. Cost $65.00. A fee is being paid to the Kae Miller Trust for each massage.

Houghton valley Community garden:  This photo  shows the veggies harvested from the garden yesterday.

There is a lot of silver beet at the moment, so please take some.

Piebe’s (Peter’s) Track: Has anyone noticed the orange step opposite the bathing sheds? See photo.

Best wishes to everyone, Grant

Newsletter No. 24

28 February, 2011

Community Garden: The garden is really flourishing at the moment with an abundance of veggies, herbs and flowers. Due to the garden being so well used, we have begun making more plots above the path (photo missing). Both the school and the play centre have plots for the kids.We started planting winter veggies today (broccoli, cauliflower, onions, broad beans) and have some plots available if anyone wants one. The other photo is Brenda turning the compost. (Photo missing).

Cheers, Grant

Newsletter No. 23

17 February, 2011

Trail bikes: A trail bike has twice been seen going up the track from the playground to Buckley Rd and then along the track above the school. We need to find away of stopping this before it gets worse.

Community Garden: The HV PlayCentre is about to start a plot. Having both the PlayCentre and the School involved is going to benefit the kids. If anyone is out walking in the evening, the garden needs lots more watering now.

Also if you email Brian he  will send you news from the South Coast Historical Society.

Cheers, Grant

Newsletter No. 22

9 February, 2011

Nothing much has been happening – that I know of in Houghton Valley! If you hear or know of anything interesting please let me know. So just a quick note about …

Alice Krebs lodge: Alice Krebes lodge will be open this Saturday 12th at 1.30 pm for anyone who would like to come and have a look. Either come to the lodge or meet Grant at the bathing sheds at Princess Bay at 1 pm and he will walk you to the lodge via the track.

Yoga Class: Jenny has started her yoga class on Tuesdays at 6.45 – 8.30 pm in the HV School Hall. Bring a mat and blanket. Last year the class cost $7.00 not sure how much this year?

Have a wonderful rest of the week 🙂 Sam

Newsletter No. 21

24 January, 2011

A big welcome to new email members! Isn’t the weather lovely?

Eatable weeds list: A list of eatable weeds that grow in View Rd Park has been made. So far about 15 have been identified. A booklet will eventually be produced with photos and explanations. The plants identified so far are: NZ spinach, Wild turnip,  Borage, Cat’s ear, Karamu, Taupata, Yarrow, Fennel, Blackberry, Deadly Nightshade, Puha and Valerium.

Ideas for Houghton Bay: Several locals have come up with ideas for Houghton Bay that maybe of interest:

• Arts trail around the local artists’ studios;
  • Friendship evenings at the hall including a speaker;
  • A proper notice board outside the Community Hall;
  • Pedestrian boardwalk between the pavement and the sea from Houghton Bay to Island Bay – cyclists could then use the pavement;
  • Alice Kreb Lodge as accommodation for an artist or writer’s residency;
  • Creating a local website – a good example is  http://grandarts.org/  A Christchurch web designer has offered this one for emerging communities – http://placerama.com/ (Link not current.)

Do you have more ideas?

Non- Emailers: Last week’s email news was printed out for non- emailers by Christine from Cave Rd. If you know of anyone who would like a hard copy please ring Christine.

Houghton Valley Community Garden: The dirt doctors, Hana and Jacob have been giving the locals useful advice about composting. They make compost mounds, about 1×1 metre, from sticks, green stuff, seaweed, manure etc. When it begins to heat up, they create a hole in the middle for household waste. The heat keeps the rats and mice at bay. After a good storm they collect seaweed at Lyall Bay. They drag it up onto the rocks and leave it until after rain has fallen before taking it to the garden (the rain washes out the salt).

Australearn: US students from Australearn helped dig out tracks at Houghton Valley last week. The tracks make it easier to access the garden and school playground. Dave did a fabulous job at organising this. Thanks Dave!

I would love any ideas you have for the newsletter and any photos (please keep them small) that are relevant to the community.

Sam

Newsletter No. 20

January 15, 2011

I hope you had a pleasant break!

Newsletter in print: Christine from Cave Rd has offered to coordinate a list of non- emailers. If you know of someone, phone Christine.

Traffic Issues: The Houghton Bay Progressive Association agreed to write to the council to follow up on the traffic issues at the corner of Houghton Bay Rd and the Beach. The Association also agreed to explore the costs of installing a park bench in View Rd Park in honour of Piebe Kooistra of Hungerford Rd. For 30 years or more Pieter has cut tracks at keep them open within the park.

Houghton valley Community Garden: Local families are now harvesting lettuce, spinach, strawberries, herbs and potatoes. New plots are now being prepared for the winter crops. There is still space available for those who wish to start a plot. A comment: “I interviewed a well known economist this week, who told me we are heading for a world food shortage. I have a little garden at home but my enthusiasm was renewed.” 🙂

From Dave the caretaker at Houghton Valley School: For the past four or five years Houghton Valley has hosted groups of  American students touring New Zealand as part of Australearn. As part of their tour they volunteer a couple of hours working on community projects. There are two or three tours a year and Houghton Valley school has been fortunate to be able to be the beneficiary of their labour. Sometimes they have helped around the school with the landscaping but more recently they have contributed to weed control and the creation of the tracks through the HV School-WCC Coastal Forest Regeneration Project.

Another group of 20 arrive at 9 am on Thursday 20 January and the focus will be carving out new sections of the Haunted Hut track and the Fantail Guide track. This is so people can stroll down through the forest to the Community Garden and playground with greater ease. It’s light work and a great opportunity to meet these young people from all over America amidst the ambiance of our new forest. Simply bring a spade and/or a grubber and stout shoes. They are gone by 11.30 am.

If you have any ideas or stories for the newsletter please contact me.

Have a nice windy weekend, Sam 🙂