Newsletter No. 18

Houghton Valley Email Newsletter

12 December, 2010

Sorry, I am a bit late this week, I had technological difficulties. 🙂

Houghton Valley Community Garden: Locals meet every Sunday at 2 pm to work in the garden. The garden is next to the school playground, all are welcome.
Common Sense Organics in Kilbirnie has nominated next Saturday, 18 December when the garden will get 5% of that day’s profit. So please do all your organic Xmas shopping on that day. The compost bins are finished and ready for your ‘donations’. Spinach, lettuce and herbs can be harvested. (Picture missing?)

Christmas Tree: Ben from Hungerford Rd has made a Christmas tree for the community garden, you are invited to hang a little Christmas bauble on it – thanks Ben!

Christmas decorations: You may have noticed the lovely decorated house on the corner of Houghton Bay and Hungerford Road. They have been putting them up in the first week of December for many years. They often find notes in their letterbox from local kids, saying how much they like them.

Hermit of Houghton Bay: Pat Hutchinson from Island Bay has just published a comprehensive story of the ‘Hermit of Houghton Bay’, in the latest, Wellington Southern Bays Historical Society magazine.  After doing lots of research Pat felt a lot of sympathy for the hard life he had living in the cave in the 1880s and 90s. Pat is also certain that a photograph of the Hermit standing out side the cave establishes approximately where the cave was – on (or under) the  site on No 108 The Esplanade. (Picture missing?)

Memorial: Does anyone know anything about this? (Picture missing.)

Neighbourhood Watch: Keep a keen lookout around your neighbourhood we are still hearing of some dodgy goings on in the area. Make sure your cars are secured and you let your neighbours know if you are going away.

Email me on Thursday if you have any news 🙂

Have a great week! Grant